Sunscreen 101: What You Should Know

When the school year starts winding down, all that I can think about is summer – where I am going to go, what I am going to do, and who I am going to be with. Dreams of warm, fun-filled days clutter my head as I procrastinate studying for finals. I picture myself at the beach with my friends, enjoying the ocean waves and the heat from sunlight that I missed all winter. One part is always left out, though: the terrible sunburn I get from that day on the beach. If you are looking to prevent that painful sunburn from happening to you this summer, keep reading to learn the basics of sunscreen so you can safely get outside!

How to select a sunscreen: Before applying sunscreen, the first important thing to know is how to select the right sunscreen for you. According to the American Academy of Dermatology Association, there are three key items that you should look for on a sunscreen label: broad spectrum, SPF 30 or higher, and water resistant. When the label says, “broad spectrum,” it means that it protects against both UVA and UVB rays. A SPF of 30 or higher will decrease your chances of a sunburn, and “water resistant” means that the sunscreen will stay on your skin even if it is wet or sweaty.

How to apply sunscreen: You should apply sunscreen 15 minutes before going outside as it takes your skin that much time to absorb the sunscreen. The sunscreen should be applied all over your body, including your neck, face, ears, and the tops of your feet. You can also protect your lips by using a lip balm with a SPF of at least 15. Sunscreen should be reapplied every two hours or immediately after swimming or sweating.

Following these tips from the American Academy of Dermatology Association should lead to a decreased risk of sunburns while you are enjoying your summer. However, it is important to recognize that there are days when following these tips perfectly is hard to do. Abiding by these tips from the AADA can help relieve the discomfort from the sunburn:

1. Take frequent cool baths or showers to help relieve the pain.
  2. Use a moisturizer that contains aloe vera or soy to help soothe sunburned skin.
  3. Consider taking aspirin or ibuprofen to help reduce any swelling, redness, and discomfort.
  4. If you skin blisters, allow the blisters to heal. Do not pop the blisters.
  5. Take extra care to protect sunburned skin while it heals by wearing clothing that covers your skin while you are outdoors.

Enjoy your summer, Pirates, and stay safe under the sun!

For more information about sunscreen or anything skin-related, visit the American Academy of Dermatology Association at https://www.aad.org/public or talk to your doctor.