Thrifting in Greenville

Over-spending and impulse buying are problems that almost every college student faces. Saving money is hard, especially when shopping is a way to make connections with new friends! In college, it seems as if there is always an event that requires different apparel. Whether that is going to a formal, an internship, heading downtown, work, football games, or even just loungewear, you’ll want to put your best foot forward in a new outfit! If you’re a fashionista or clothes obsessed like me, then the urge to buy new clothes for every occasion is a hard one to fight. Luckily for my bank account, I have learned the ins and outs of where to buy the cute clothing and pirate apparel you’ve been looking for at an affordable price.

Imagine it’s Friday night and you and your friends are raiding each other’s closets for the perfect weekend outfit. If it feels like you’ve run out of options and you’re sick and tired of all your clothes, there’s an affordable solution to expand your wardrobe! Hop on Facebook marketplace and join a local buy/sell/trade group. If you have Facebook, you can request to be added to Pirate Gals Rejects or any other similar, student-run Facebook marketplace. These pages provide a safe and organized environment for college students to sell their clothes and buy new ones! Women from ECU will post closet cleanouts that have an abundance of fashionable items varying from sunglasses, heels, workout clothes, bathing suits, and going-out apparel. I have made great purchases through this Facebook page, and I have sold some of my belongings on this page too.  

If you enjoy getting out for a fun shopping day rather than browsing for clothes online, consider taking a trip to one of Greenville’s many thrift stores! At Plato’s closet, you can find trendy secondhand clothes at low prices. You can also trade your clothes in for money. Fashion Traders will also buy your clothes from you, and it’s a great place to find cute business casual clothes and other in-style items.  A few other go-to thrift stores in Greenville are:

• Goodwill
  • My Sisters Closet
  • Hope of Glory
  • Salvation Army.

Goodwill is a great place to go to find vintage tees, and if my friends and are feeling crafty we will buy jeans from Goodwill and cut them into shorts!

Not only is thrifting a great way to save money, but it’s also a more environmentally friendly way to shop. Next time you’re in a wardrobe pinch, revisit this blog for the best places to buy secondhand clothes in Greenville. Happy shopping, Pirates!