With health and wellness as a priority more than ever before, ECU Campus Recreation & Wellness wanted this master plan to highlight Well-Being areas of need. This cross-departmental master plan specifically targets recreation and wellness spaces that are aging, in need of repair and renovation, and the need for additional spaces. In this process, it was clear that the needs of Health Services, Counseling Services, Dean of Students and the Office of Disability Services for our students was at a critical juncture in regard to space and access for students. This plan goes into greater depth and needs specific to the recreation and wellness than the University Master Plan.
The process started with students in mind by simply asking them what wellness meant to them. There was a broad-spectrum of answers that covered physical activities, mental health, physical health, and pure fun. The process then developed focus groups to discuss specific needs within areas that typically relate to wellness such as, Campus Recreation & Wellness, Student Health, Dean of Students, Counseling Services, ROTC, and our academic programs in Health & Human Performance. Community input was collected which included the school system, Greenville Recreation and Parks, County Recreation, and the local Sports Commission to name a few.
Eakin Student Recreation Center celebrates its 25th anniversary in 2021. While this and many other facilities have served Pirates well, it’s time to look to the future. New facilities that connect student services inter-departmentally are becoming higher in demand. Our future Pirates deserve to have a space that fosters connectiveness and well-being initiatives. We hope this is the start of a broader vision for health and wellness in Pirate Nation.
CAMPUS RECREATION & WELLNESS AT A GLANCE
- 18,000 unique members use recreation programs and facilities annually
- 507,000 annual visits to the Eakin Student Recreation Center
- 87 percent full-time students participate annually
- Host 130 sections annually of academic courses to over 3,000 students
- 4,000 annual visits to the indoor climbing wall
- 2019 – 904 Summer Camp registrations; 292 unique campers
- Employing more than 450 students, Campus Recreation & Wellness is one of the largest employers of students on-campus with more than $1.1 million dollars of student fees returned to students via wages annually
SUPPORT THE MASTER PLAN
Your contribution to the Campus Recreation & Wellness Master Plan for new facilities reflects your commitment to improving Pirate Nation for students, faculty/staff, and the greater Greenville community.
The donation you make today will help provide more opportunities for students to stay active, balanced, and connected to campus. Thank you for your generous support and for your vision of an even better East Carolina University.