Small Habits that make Big Changes

Student Edition!

I have had a lot of experience as a 24-year-old college student and want to share what has helped me the most throughout my academic journey over the past 7 years! For some background, I started college all the way back in 2016 when I graduated high school at 18 years old! I went straight into a four-year university and expected my experience to be just like high school. Needless to say, I failed out of the four-year school after my first semester and had to start over and move back home. However, I continued to invest in myself and my education, and I am back in a four-year university, as of 2022, at 24-years-old with two Associate degrees under my belt.

If I could give my freshman-year self advice on succeeding in a college environment,

this is what I would recommend:

Make your bed every morning and take care of your living space!

I would recommend that every student should make small efforts every day to keep their space organized. This way big messes can’t build up and make you feel even more overwhelmed. Also, when you are more organized at home, you can focus on being organized in your classes. For example, I make my bed and clean small messes when I get up in the morning. This way, when I get home from classes and work at the end of the day, I can breathe a little easier and get into my homework for the night.

Be mindful!

Being mindful can be one of the most helpful habits for keeping your priorities and motivations first and foremost. Some habits towards being mindful include making a list of weekly goals, writing down what you’re thankful for each day, or reflecting on where you were last year and how you’ve grown. Sometimes all you need is a bit of perspective and self-appreciation to ease your anxieties and find the motivation to pull through!

Have a routine and stick to it!

Your body and mind will thank you for this in the long run. Consistency is what we crave and when you have an everyday routine, you can tackle everything in the day with ease. Time management is also a great habit to form within your education. This way you are investing in yourself and learning how you, as an individual, work and get things done. Creating a routine will also ensure that you can fit in those habits like mindfulness and cleanliness!

I would also recommend habits like exercising, healthy eating, and practicing self-care. Your education is an investment in yourself and ECU has so many resources for student success and growth. After you graduate, you won’t have many of these resources as readily available so try to take advantage of what is offered. You are deserving of everything ECU has to offer and capable of more than you know!