New Year’s Resolutions

Setting achievable New Year’s Resolutions can sometimes be a daunting task. Holiday seasons of enjoying sweet treats and big meals with friends and family can result in individuals feeling pressured to make drastic changes in their lives to be healthy. Using the turning of the new year as a reset to prioritize health and personal development is a great idea. However, many are not sure where to start and end up setting unrealistic resolutions that leave them feeling disappointed and unmotivated. Has this ever happened to you? If you still have not made a New Year’s resolution or are not sure where to start this year, it is okay! Keep reading for ideas and guidance.

Many goals surrounding New Year’s resolutions revolve around becoming a healthier, better version of ourselves. The top resolutions among Americans include exercising more, saving money, and eating healthier. These are great improvements to work towards. The best way to ensure lasting lifestyle changes is by starting small. Making many smaller and more realistic goals often result in consistent achievement which increases motivation to keep going. Conquering these small steps one at a time lays a stable foundation for practical lifestyle changes. This approach is much easier than making major adjustments because it allows for reasonable habits to be formed over time. Try this method when making new goals for personal development this year. Here are some realistic resolutions for 2021 that you can stick to and achieve.

If you are looking to exercise more:

  1. Start simple! Go for a 15–30-minute walk in your neighborhood.
  2. Find a fitness plan that you like and can stick to. YouTube is a great place to find free fitness videos.
  3. Ask a friend to be your accountability partner or look for a Facebook group for accountability.
  4. Remember your rest days! Burnout is real and it is important to let your body rest when needed.

If you are looking to save more money:

  1. Limit eating out to once or twice a week.
  2. If you want to buy an item wait for it to go on sale or look for coupons.
  3. Put money into an investment account: CD’s, Mutual Fund, Retirement Account, Bonds
  4. Make a budget and stick to it.

If you are looking to eat healthier

  1. Meal prep healthy food for the week so you do not have the excuse that “you don’t have time” to make a healthy meal.
  2. Focus on the 80/20 rule. 80% of what you eat should be whole, nutrient-dense foods. The other 20% can be indulgences or the foods you enjoy. Balance is key!
  3. Limit intake of processed foods. Eat more foods that fuel your body!
  4. Drink more water!! This is a simple change that can make a huge difference in energy levels and overall well-being.

One great way to ensure you follow through with your resolutions is to write them down! Having a physical list that represents your goals makes it easier to hold yourself accountable. This list can be a schedule, a budget, notes you leave yourself, or anything that helps you stay on track and motivated.

Lastly, do not forget to acknowledge your growth and your hard work. If you fall off track, get back up and keep moving! The more we grow, the more critical often we become of our own performance and abilities based on what we have learned. It is easy to let this factor be discouraging. To prevent this from hindering further progress take time to reflect on where you started, no matter what resolution you are working towards. Celebrate the small victories and keep climbing the ladder of success!

Good luck and Happy New Year!