10 Ways to Make It Through Finals

Photo by: Jazmin Quaynor on Unsplash

1. Say no to procrastination  

“I procrastinate because it’s always worked for me.” 

One of the greatest lies of all time. We procrastinate because we forget, we enjoy the last-minute rush, or because we dread studying. Can you imagine studying early, feeling more prepared and less stressed when test day comes around? It’s almost unimaginable. Do yourself a favor and get ahead of the game! Everything else will still be there tomorrow, but you only get one test day. Don’t wait until the last minute. 

2. Get 7-8 hours of sleep 

“I can make it on 4 hours of sleep, no problem.”   

The designer bags under your eyes are fooling no one, mister. A good night’s sleep makes a huge difference in your performance throughout the day. Say hello to a happier, more efficient version of you. All you must do is stay in bed for 8 hours, what a treat.  

3. Plan ahead  

“I’m just going to wing it.” 

Figuring out when and where your final tests will be prior to the night before will save you a world of trouble. It may not seem like a big deal, but it’s the little things that will make your life much easier. Write down dates in your planner or in your phone’s calendar app but failing to prepare is just you preparing to fail.  

4. Find a study buddy  

I study better on my own.” 

Have you ever tried studying with a friend? Not only will their presence comfort you while you both study together, but it holds you accountable for getting work done. Mutual encouragement never hurt anyone. 

5. Eat nutritious meals 

An energy drink is all I need.” 

FALSE. A sugar rush will lead to a sugar crash. You need proteins and vitamin-filled foods. Eat adequate portions regularly throughout your day and don’t overdo it. Eating too much can make you feel fatigued. With tight schedules, tight budgets, and no parents around to nudge you in the right direction, making healthy choices can be difficult. Luckily, tips and tricks are in the palm of your hand. Making a change may be hard, but it’s not impossible.    (Add a link  

6. Exercise when you can/ What about Get Moving  

“I don’t have time to go to the gym.” 

Make time for some exercise! Even if it’s a 15-minute workout video is all you can complete in your living room, moving around will get your blood flowing and make you feel better than you did before. Jumping jacks may sound simple and silly, but how about 50?  

7. Take breaks  

“I can cram in for hours without stopping.” 

Don’t burn yourself out! Find a good pace. If you know your attention span lasts only so long, study for an hour and then give yourself ten or so minutes to unwind the mind. Go outside for a breath of fresh air, call your mom. Figure out what will help you reset.  

8. Be smart about your study space  

“I like to study in bed.” 

If your roommates are home and the noise is too much, go anywhere else. If a café is for you, go to a café. If the library is where your best work is done, go to the library. Know yourself and where you are most productive. If you can study in bed, great! But if that leads to falling asleep 20 minutes into writing a paper, grab your books and head to the study rooms.  

9. Rotate the subjects you study  

“One day of one subject will get me a one hundred.” 

Plan ahead and give yourself enough time to work on a little of everything in your agenda. It’s easy to grow tired of a subject when you spend hours focusing on the same thing. Schedule what you want to study. 

10. Go old school  

“I only use my laptop.” 

Paper and pencil worked for decades for a reason. Writing out your thoughts and notes will help you retain the information you are learning. If you don’t like pencils, use a pen. It’s how we learned when we were younger, it will probably help you now too.